imitone community

Building a universal, human-friendly music interface. ...But first we have to fix the bugs!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Having trouble with imitone? Hit send on any Error Reports it creates, or use the in-app "send feedback" button.

#1 2016-12-08 13:49:57

adamadman

My singing is apparently not on-tone enough and/or too fast?

I am struggling with the program in trying to do the main thing I want to do with it, because apparently I am not singing precisely enough for it to match my notes.  Also, it seems to have trouble following me as I change notes.

My goal is to add various instrumentation to demos, e.g., add a piano line to a guitar piece, using my voice (since my piano skills are many years old and not accurate). I thought I could hum or scat-sing and create a melodic line.

But when I sing, no matter the settings (though perhaps I have missed something -- which is why I am writing), I end up with a patchwork of notes, some the ones I thought I sung, some not, and places where the program missed my notes or could not (apparently) keep up. Often it reads my notes as sharp or flat. Now, I am no great singer, but I certainly can hold a tune pretty well! I also find this happens when I whistle, which I do very much on tune.

Is there a way to "force" the program in a way that will help this situation, i.e., so it will resolve or adjust notes that I sing that are slightly flat or sharp, into notes on the desired scale?

And, is the fact it cannot seem to keep up (I am not humming or doot-doot-dooing THAT fast) a known problem...or am I expecting too much?

(Thanks for continuing to work on what will certainly be a fabulous thing when it is finished.)

-Adam-

#2 2016-12-08 16:40:20

Evan
Bugmaster
Website

Re: My singing is apparently not on-tone enough and/or too fast?

Hello, Adam ---

Firstly, refer to the tips section in the manual:  http://imitone.com/manual

All kinds of good advice in there.  One of the key points is that, if at all possible, you should pick a scale other than chromatic.  In the future I plan on adding automatic scale detection to make this easier.

If you're struggling, I would be very interested to get a sample from you.  Follow these steps to do that.

Board footer