imitone community

Building a universal, human-friendly music interface. ...But first we have to fix the bugs!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Having trouble with imitone? Hit send on any Error Reports it creates, or use the in-app "send feedback" button.

#1 2017-03-14 11:52:23

Arpan

Get chords progression to accompany a song

Hi All,
I am pretty new to this imitone and the world of DAW. I recently purchased a full license and did some experiment and figured out the software was able to provide me the notes of a song when I was whistling it. I was using it to feed to the piano VST in my daw. The sound was not too bad but my requirement is  bit different. Since I want to play the piano to accompany a song, playing all the notes of the song won't sound good. That might work for solo playing but not when I accompany a song. So I need the chords and the chord progression of the song so that I can play the same in piano as a background music of the song. Can imitone help me achieve this? Or , are there any other software which can help me?

#2 2017-03-15 14:09:48

Evan
Bugmaster
Website

Re: Get chords progression to accompany a song

Hey, Arpan —

If you want a chord progression to play over top of, it would probably be easiest to just draw that out in your DAW's piano roll.  How this is done varies depending on your DAW, but you can generally copy-paste it as you like to make it loop.

After you've set up a chords track, make sure imitone is in the same key and scale as the chord progression (!!) and start playing another instrument with imitone while playing through or recording alongside the chords you drew.

If you want to play arpeggiated chords using imitone, that's a different matter — you can do this by manually locking imitone into the chords you want (click on imitone's piano keys to switch them on and off).  When only the notes in the chord are enabled, you can slide your voice around to arpeggiate them.  Unfortunately there isn't a convenient way to move imitone's scale-locking through a chord progression right now...  Might make a nice feature later on.

#3 2017-03-18 10:03:21

Arpan

Thanks Evan for the reply. Could you please let me know how to find the chord of a song? If I am not wrong, using imitone I can get the melody of the song and each note. But not sure how to get the chords of the song so that I can set that up in my FL studio piano roll to play as a background music.

#4 2017-03-20 13:22:41

Evan
Bugmaster
Website

Hey, Arpan —

Usually you have to look it up.  There is some other software out there that identifies chords (such as Apple's Music Memos) but generally I would recommend doing a google search.  If it's a song you're writing, the chord progression is something you'll need to experiment with...

If you need to figure out a chord progression by ear, here is one of many websites that will let you play different chords interactively:  https://autochords.com/

Board footer