imitone community

Building a universal, human-friendly music interface. ...But first we have to fix the bugs!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Having trouble with imitone? Hit send on any Error Reports it creates, or use the in-app "send feedback" button.

#1 2017-07-04 13:16:13

Evan
Bugmaster
Website

imitone Beta 0.9.1

imitone Beta 0.9.1

July 2, 2017

This build introduces built-in instruments and numerous UI improvements.

Windows:  Download
Mac OS X:  Download  (OS X 10.7 and up)

Change Log:

New Features:

+ Built-in instruments
    Added a small selection of synthesizer instruments for stand-alone play.
    A switch in the setup menu toggles "instrument mode" and "controller mode".

Changes:

Added "pop-out menus", making various settings easier to use.
    - Key and scale
    - Slide mode
    - Range
    - Presets
Redesigned the setup UI.
    - Added play mode switch.
    - Added an option for the audio output.
    - Added a graphic that illustrates the current setup.
Fixed a confusing behavior with semitone transpose.
Various other small visual changes.
Fixed some incorrectly-named scales.
Various other fixes.
The install location on Windows no longer varies by version.
    (Updates after 0.9.1 will replace imitone when installing.)

Fixes:

Fixed a start-up crash with certain Intel graphics cards.

Known issues:

There is no support for duplex input/output.
External MIDI devices are not available in the 64-bit build.
DirectX (DirectSound) is not available in this version.
Audio channel buttons after the first eight will cover other UI.

#2 2017-07-04 14:16:15

Yragael
Power Tester
Website

Re: imitone Beta 0.9.1

dear Evan, where is the function with ctrl + mouse click for +24 semitones on pitchbend ????

Doesn't work anymore OR I can't see where to set it right.

another point is while installing, many messages telling to uninstall previous versions if not can't install though it has installed 0.9.1 right.

thank you for support and marvelous updates ;-)

EDIT: OK it is time for feature request!

implement a gui setting beside the pitchbend icon when this mode is activated to set pitchbend range from +0 to +24 semitones.

PLEASE hardly needed now!

Thank you, WE really want this for 0.9.2 :-)) 

Last edited by Yragael (2017-07-04 15:20:28)

#3 2017-07-05 06:35:14

Handmusician
Power Tester

Cool thanks ☺️ it's now easier for beginners to play music. It would be great if you could also add support for sf2 (lot of free in that format on the net and we could even create ours from samples and freeware like here : http://polyphone-soundfonts.com), we could then add our own instruments.

Last edited by Handmusician (2017-07-05 06:43:10)

#4 2017-07-06 10:34:37

Evan
Bugmaster
Website

Yragael —

Apologies, I broke 24-semitone pitchbend and was in such a rush to get the build finished that I didn't bring it back.  Other than built-in instruments, the pitch tracking is the same — so I suggest you keep using 0.9.0d for now.

We're already planning out what "wrench" menus in the UI will look like (based on the new dropdowns) so it's not far-fetched to add those back.  For the next patch (0.9.1a, next week-ish) I will at least add the "control" trick back in.

Handmusician —

I use a SoundFont engine internally, but it's unfortunately a piece of junk and it chokes on a lot of the SoundFonts out there.  It supports SFZ files.  For starters I might make it so that the list of built-in instruments is a file you can edit.

In the longer term, I have been thinking about how imitone could automatically make a a recorded sound or a set of sound files into an instrument, by detecting the pitch of each sound brought in...

#5 2017-07-06 11:13:08

Handmusician
Power Tester

Yes I think it's important to add these possibilities. Thus, imitone will give a good bunch of features for having fun, playing music, training our voice and even making compositions, a complete musical tool for everyone using the most natural, intuitive instrument (and for me the best in terms of flexibility, harmonics...)  : the voice.

Last edited by Handmusician (2017-07-06 11:14:25)

#6 2017-07-07 13:39:10

Evan
Bugmaster
Website

Handmusician wrote:

Yes I think it's important to add these possibilities. Thus, imitone will give a good bunch of features for having fun, playing music, training our voice and even making compositions, a complete musical tool for everyone using the most natural, intuitive instrument (and for me the best in terms of flexibility, harmonics...)  : the voice.

Haha, well, I certainly want it to be a flexible tool.  I am a little leery of wandering too far in the direction of an "imitone DAW", so don't hold your breath for a multi-track editor interface or anything.  VST is on its way, though!

#7 2017-07-09 04:49:02

Yragael
Power Tester
Website

VST is on its way!   ---------> Marvelous

I'm using both 0.9.0d and 0.9.1... I have to say guitar does quite a good job with imitone, not for chords though sometimes it brings some good results.

More I use it more I love it... it is my everyday tool when I jam or compose.
guitar with a synth bass driven by imitone is impressive.

warm thank you for this wonder

Last edited by Yragael (2017-07-09 04:49:43)

#8 2017-07-12 13:44:43

Evan
Bugmaster
Website

Hey, Yragael —

Yeah, imitone won't do chords or any kind of multi-note sound (at least not with the current tech).  That sort of thing can be done with a hexaphonic pickup and imitone studio (in a multi-channel setup) but that will probably be a bit complicated and fussy in practice — especially when there is other stuff made to do this kind of tracking on guitar.

Working on an 0.9.1a patch this week and will make effort to accommodate these suggestions.

Board footer