imitone community

Building a universal, human-friendly music interface. ...But first we have to fix the bugs!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Having trouble with imitone? Hit send on any Error Reports it creates, or use the in-app "send feedback" button.

#1 2017-08-20 15:44:53

nofish
Power Tester

"Breath controller" mode (Volume to CC only)

I'd like to use imitone as kind of a "poor man's breath controller".

If unfamiliar with breath controllers, you have a mouth piece you blow into which gets converted to CC's (often CC11, expression) which can be used to modulate sample libraries.

e.g.
https://youtu.be/QUJBW9w_MQo?t=107

I'd like to use  the same technique humming or singing in a mic instead and the intensity (volume) getting converted to CC via imitone.
It basically works already currently with "power control expression" enabled, but you have to filter out / delete the notes generated by imitone afterwards (because they are not needed in this case).

So essentially "Power control expression" mode (generating CC's only) without pitch tracking and generating notes.

Thanks for considering.

Last edited by nofish (2017-08-20 15:49:59)

#2 2017-08-23 11:50:07

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Re: "Breath controller" mode (Volume to CC only)

Hey, nofish —

That's an interesting and unusual use of the app.  This sounds like the sort of thing that a simpler tool or VST may support already — especially if it's only the volume and not the tonality you care about.  But potentially it could be done.  The tricky thing about MIDI customization is fitting it into imitone's simple interface, and for unusual uses like yours I may just tell users to edit a text file somewhere.

I'm not 100% sure, but you may be able to hack this feature into existence if you edit the config file to have a large transpose value (like 120) that puts all notes outside the MIDI range.  (This isn't normally possible in imitone's UI.)  You can access this file by pressing control-R in imitone, and modify it with a text editor.

Last edited by Evan (2017-08-23 11:50:34)

#3 2017-08-23 12:11:47

nofish
Power Tester

Hi Evan,

you're right, there are already VSTs that do that e.g.
http://www.thepiz.org/plugins/?p=AudioToCC

so it's nothing super-important but I thought as imitone kinda almost seems to be there already (with power control expression) so why not ask to add it. :)
I see the point with keeping the interface simple though.

I'll try the transpose value hack, thanks.

Btw., if you ever plan to implement this, attack and release settings (like in the linked VST) would also come in handy.

#4 2018-01-06 14:33:27

JennyJac

Hi Evan and community. I just heard of imitone last night, on a forum while researching Midi Breath Controllers for the purpose described by nofish above.

Like nofish, I was hoping to use imitone for CC control, though I am also eagerly anticipating using it for melody creation, as I improvise more freely by voice than on a keyboard.

So, I haven't even run imitone yet, (just downloaded an hour ago), but if anyone has done the transpose value hack and can offer a file I'd love it. I followed nofish's link to piz for AudiotoCC but it says its for Windows and I am on Mac only.

Thanks for the app Evan, and thanks anyone for any info on an imitone transpose-value hack file or Mac version of AudiotoCC.
Jenny

#5 2018-01-08 15:38:21

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Since I'm not sure if the "hack" I mentioned before will work, I'll suggest one other way to get this working:  Use a MIDI event filter.

MIDI event filters allow some of the messages that a controller like imitone sends to be "blocked".  If you block Note-On and Note-Off messages, you'll be left with just the control change messages, which is what you want.  There are numerous plugins and MIDI effects that do this, depending on what music software you use.

For example, here's a page on Logic Pro 9's MIDI filter function I turned up on a quick google search:  https://documentation.apple.com/en/logi … tasks=true

As a general note, imitone still isn't necessarily the best tool for this because it will quit sending CCs when it doesn't hear a recognizable tone.

#6 2018-01-08 18:18:45

JennyJac

Thanks very much for that Evan. I take your final point. May try it anyway just for fun, and now at last I understand the function of the MIDI filter prefs! Thanks again for your thorough and clear response.

Board footer