imitone community

Building a universal, human-friendly music interface. ...But first we have to fix the bugs!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Having trouble with imitone? Hit send on any Error Reports it creates, or use the in-app "send feedback" button.

#1 2019-04-12 06:47:02

Handmusician
Power Tester

Set a scale directly from voice

Hello,
I have an idea about scale. We could change the scale while singing from vowels, consonants or even percussive sounds. For example we start with an "aaa" in Cminor then play in Dminor with "ooo" !

Last edited by Handmusician (2019-04-12 07:09:03)

#2 2019-04-12 11:26:05

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Re: Set a scale directly from voice

Very interesting idea!

The idea with percussion control is that you would train imitone to recognize a few sounds, and each one would trigger a different drum.  I've also thought about "keyswitches" to do things like key changes in imitone, though.  I had always thought about keyswitches as coming from an external controller but it's possible that they could come from inside imitone too.  I've also been thinking about a proper method for distinguishing vowel sounds, which is another kind of sound classification.  So, I can see how this could be enabled with some of the technology I'm already planning.

Another neat possibility of configurable keyswitches would be changing instruments when you sing "ooh" versus "aah".  That could be done by switching channels or sending program change.

My general plan for this sort of thing in imitone is on-the-fly key and scale detection, so you'll be able to change keys just by singing in the new key.  That said, registering the change could take a moment and something that you can set up and control manually is probably more reliable than any magic algorithm.  Anything that requires that much advance setup would probably be an imitone studio feature, though.

Board footer