imitone community

Building a universal, human-friendly music interface. ...But first we have to fix the bugs!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Having trouble with imitone? Hit send on any Error Reports it creates, or use the in-app "send feedback" button.

#1 2019-06-25 03:21:09

enotimi

Studio version GUI - suggestion

Hi Evan
I find the current gui a bit messy and can't see how the studio version can incorporate the proposed new features and controls without more mess. 

So I'd like to see a more conventional interface for the studio version with:
* aspect ratio for a conventional monitor (16:9) not a vertical mobile phone screen
* more screen space for the input/pitch readout - maybe tabs for each channel and a composite
* left to right not top to bottom movement
* drop down menus (with shortcuts?)
* input controls on lhs, output controls on rhs, and modes/articulations/corrections/shifts etc on the bottom

Some feedback: The four year wait, with no end in sight, has been quite frustrating.  The poor studio gui combined with the new algorithm research (how long is that piece of string?) is like the project has gone full circle and is starting again.  Any updates or news are quite adhoc and irregular, so there's not even a sense of engagement with the process. 

The last beta was 15 September 2017 with the vst alpha flurry in February 2018 and nothing since. In May 2018 you wrote "I am planning on making a Linux version of imitone available, likely with the next update to the app.  I have been focusing most of my effort on iOS and plugins since this time last year."  And now the website lists all those new features as 'coming soon'....  How soon is 'soon'?

Ray

#2 2019-07-06 14:14:57

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Re: Studio version GUI - suggestion

Hello, Ray —

Thank you for the thoughtful feedback.

It's not unreasonable to suggest the project is "starting again", in some sense.  I've been unsatisfied with the quality of my software so far, so I'm working on major changes and improvements to take it to the next level.  I believe this will produce a much more useful result than "polishing the turd" and shipping a product based on our current design and technology.  Many predecessors took that approach, and I believe they were unsuccessful as a result.

We've been thinking over problems in the UI for a long time, and it's going to get a major overhaul following the conclusion of the current research phase.  In the long run, many of these changes will take the form of automating and distilling settings that aren't useful or intuitive.  Point for point:

* Our mobile design is actually quite different.  imitone is vertical because it's made to run side-by-side.  I'll keep your comment in mind, though.  We're planning a smaller, stay-on-top view, and we may experiment with resizability.
* A more sensible UI for multi-channel is planned.  The current UI was a quick-and-dirty addition to facilitate showfloor demos and I have not given it much attention since.
* Reorientation from a vertical piano roll to a horizontal staff-like display is planned.
* Most of imitone studio's additional settings (such as MIDI configuration) will live in pop-out menus attached to the associated elements.
* We're planning radical changes to the UI layout, which I hope will achieve cohesion through simplicity.

Board footer