imitone community

Building a universal, human-friendly music interface. ...But first we have to fix the bugs!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Having trouble with imitone? Hit send on any Error Reports it creates, or use the in-app "send feedback" button.

#1 2016-05-27 14:29:07

friendo

"FAILED to create virtual MIDI port!"

Operating system: Windows 8
imitone version: imitone beta 0.8.1

imitone works except I can't get it to appear in a DAW. I can sing into it and see the notes on the screen but when I open up Reaper and go to Options -> Preferences -> MidiDevices, Virtual MIDI never comes up up.

Original topic: https://imitone.com/munity/viewtopic.php?id=259

It says "FAILED to create virtual MIDI port!" in the log file.

I took the log file after starting imitone. No popup came up displaying an error...
log.txt

I'm also attaching the error.txt, though I'm not sure it's relevant. A freeze error popped up when i ran the program the time before. I occasionally see some kind of pop up error but the error I am reporting is one that always happens whether there is a visible pop up error or not.
error.txt

#2 2016-05-27 15:01:37

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Re: "FAILED to create virtual MIDI port!"

Per the other topic, you have made multiple attempts to install and error messages appeared relating to teVirtualMIDI installation, correct?

That's the driver imitone uses to create its virtual MIDI port---so if it isn't installing correctly, imitone won't be able to transmit MIDI directly.  MIDI loopback applications can be used to send the MIDI differently, but the most popular (loopMIDI) uses the same driver.  You mentioned you had installed that as well--does loopMIDI work at all (separate from imitone)?

#3 2016-05-27 15:37:06

friendo

No, LoopMIDI doesn't even seem to install correctly. When I run the .exe file I get a screen that is mostly blank except for "Repair", "Uninstall" and "Close" buttons. The only button that does anything interesting is the "Repair" button which shows a loading bar for a while and then crashes. It's nothing like the video HandMusician posted. (Also the video shows a MSI file when extracted)

I guess I will look into another MIDI loopback application... are there any other recommended ones besides LoopMIDI?

Last edited by friendo (2016-05-27 15:37:27)

#4 2016-05-27 17:28:47

Handmusician
Power Tester

There is also midi yoke. Another way (for playing purpose only while Evan help you to solve the problem) is synthesizer software like coolsoft virtual midi synth, qsynth...

Last edited by Handmusician (2016-05-27 17:41:04)

#5 2016-06-04 12:16:23

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

friendo:  This sounds troublesome.  The loopMIDI driver powers imitone's Virtual MIDI, and that driver is developed by Tobias Erichsen---I can't fix it.  Collect any information you can when the driver crashes, and I can send it his way (though I wouldn't expect a swift response).

Your best bet is almost certainly to use another loopback program like midi yoke or loopbe1.

#6 2016-10-08 10:42:02

BOC6010

i have used imitone with its virtual midi...never needed to use midiloop or other third party drivers.  i first open imitone and set settings at kernel mode at audio out, and
midi output at virtual midi.  when i open reaper and go to preferences under midi devices, you will see imitone listed.  open a track and set input to midi.  you will see imitone, and select it at all channels.  you will then have to arm for record and set monitoring on auto or on.  select the vst (fx) and start singing.  i am a novice at this, but this method worked for me.  just need a microphone for better input.

#7 2016-12-17 19:33:47

sidwave

im a coder.
to finally end this, you should get the source code, and permission, buy the driver. add it to imitone.
gluing stuff together you didnt make, is reason for fail since day 1.

if i was making this, i would have added/made the whole stuff myself.
this issue has been present from day 1..

Board footer