imitone community

Building a universal, human-friendly music interface. ...But first we have to fix the bugs!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Having trouble with imitone? Hit send on any Error Reports it creates, or use the in-app "send feedback" button.

#1 2016-09-10 15:52:22

GaryR64

Percussion Capability?

Hi, great product, from what I've seen, so far. I'll be ordering a copy soon. Meanwhile, I noticed that in the NAMM video, the multi-microphone demo included a live drummer playing actual drums. This got me wondering if imitone will be capable of working with percussion sounds in a DAW or not. I would imagine it can, as any sound made through a microphone should trigger whatever sample is selected. So, if a drum sample is selected, it should be easy enough to trigger it via one's voice, breath, making clicking or clucking sounds with one's mouth or even tapping on the microphone with a finger, right?

Gary

#2 2016-09-17 19:03:01

GaryR64

Re: Percussion Capability?

Seriously? 20 views and no one has a thing to say?!

#3 2016-09-18 00:00:18

Handmusician
Power Tester

Hi Gary,
Yes you can trigger every Sound from Voice, but it Will not Works if You Just breath,or whisper. That said there's a percussion feature planned, useful for beatboxer, That mode could help in detection of whispering sounds but no guarantee on it.

#4 2016-09-18 00:22:51

GaryR64

Handmusician wrote:

Hi Gary,
Yes you can trigger every Sound from Voice, but it Will not Works if You Just breath,or whisper. That said there's a percussion feature planned, useful for beatboxer, That mode could help in detection of whispering sounds but no guarantee on it.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I only mentioned breath control as I thought it might work, also. But, now that I recall, from watching a video demonstration by a musician in the Netherlands, he was showing the real-time input of imitone while he was talking about it, between singing, and, while imitone did pick up his voice as he spoke, it didn't register it as notes. So, I've concluded since that imitone will only trigger MIDI notes as the result of vocalized tones, via either singing or humming. I suppose whistling works, too, doesn't it? At any rate, then, one could trigger any percussion instrument sounds by the same method used for all other instrument sounds.

Gary

#5 2016-09-18 09:50:49

Handmusician
Power Tester

Yes it does, whistling is even the best method, detected faster than singing or humming

#6 2016-09-18 10:01:16

Handmusician
Power Tester

Not only Voice moreover, You Can use instrument too. I test a flute and it Works like a charm

#7 2016-09-18 12:24:52

Evan
Bugmaster
Website

Hey, Gary ---

I plan on developing a percussion control feature for imitone, after most of its core functions (IE, recognizing pitched voice and translating it into notes) are complete.  For now, it is possible to use imitone to trigger drum samples, but it doesn't make much sense unless you're using something like Timpani where your pitch factors in.

In the meantime, there are other tools out there that will fire off a note whenever they hear a transient (sudden noise) in microphone input.  I haven't researched these in a while but you can find them in plugin format.

#8 2016-09-18 14:21:57

GaryR64

Thanks for the reply, Evan. Good to hear from the one and only imitone expert (so far).  ;)

Well, I guess, for now, the plugins you've mentioned and maybe just tapping on the microphone would be the best approach for triggering unpitched percussion. I'm most interested in jazz, so getting the hang of controlling an entire drum kit, one piece at a time, is challenging. I've tried it before in Mixcraft, recording individual tracks for snare, hi-hat, toms, bass drum, etc, but it's a rather clumsy way to go and very difficult to get an authentic sound with human feel.

#9 2016-09-18 16:28:41

Handmusician
Power Tester

It makes me think about makey makey :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkPt9MYqDW0
percussion controls are possible with it i think but it's a bit expensive though, compared to the plugins

#10 2016-09-18 16:53:26

GaryR64

Wow! That was pretty cool. The guy at 2:05 was doing pretty much what I'm talking about doing. Now, if only I had the money for the gear, plus about a year to learn about electronics! I'm a mixed-media sculptor and painter, so the "maker" thing is something I'm already familiar with, to a limited extent. I just never learned squat about electricity.

#11 2016-09-18 21:33:28

Evan
Bugmaster
Website

From what I understand, the MaKey MaKey doesn't require much electrical knowledge.  Connect the clippers to a thing, touch the thing, and a MIDI message will be dispatched.  As far as I know it doesn't have anything that would translate to velocity or loudness control, though.

#12 2016-09-24 08:46:17

GaryR64

Yep, it does look rather limited, and not any more advantageous than using a MIDI keyboard with velocity and aftertouch.

Board footer