imitone community

Building a universal, human-friendly music interface. ...But first we have to fix the bugs!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Having trouble with imitone? Hit send on any Error Reports it creates, or use the in-app "send feedback" button.

#1 2016-12-05 18:43:13

funkymonkey

9.0 Unable to connect with other apps

imitone9.png

Had v8.2 already installed when installing 9.0.  When I ran 9.0, it opened up with the following pop-up message:

"virtual MIDI is offline.
    imitone may be unable to connect with other apps.
    try re-installing imitone to fix this."

Tried reinstalling as the pop-up message suggested.  No luck.
Tried uninstalling 8.2 version and running 9.0 again.  Still no luck.
Tried uninstalling and reinstalling 9.0.  Still no luck.

Running on Windows 8 OS.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

#2 2016-12-05 19:36:03

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Re: 9.0 Unable to connect with other apps

Hello ---

That's unusual.  Try running this installer:
Virtual MIDI driver, 32-bit version
Virtual MIDI driver, 64-bit version

Let me know if you see any weird error messages.

#3 2016-12-07 17:36:27

funkymonkey

Tried both installers:
"Virtual MIDI driver, 32-bit version" installer gave the pop-up window alert: "teVirtualMIDI32 can only be installed on a 32 bit OS"
"Virtual MIDI driver, 64-bit version" installer briefly had a pop-up window entitled "teVirtualMIDI64" which contained the following:
    "Please wait while Windows configures teVirtualMIDI64
     Gathering required information..."
  then the window disappeared.

And nothing seems to have changed.   Still get the pop-up message that virtual MIDI is offline.

Also, I installed the new 0.9.0c update and still getting the same issue.

#4 2016-12-07 18:26:00

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Hello ---

Please send me a feedback message using the send feedback button in imitone 0.9.0c.  (it attaches some technical info that will help me figure out the problem.)

#5 2016-12-08 20:48:59

funkymonkey

I sent it yesterday, did you receive it?

#6 2016-12-08 23:56:04

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Yes, I did.  Not 100% sure about the cause based on what I see in the log --- the Virtual MIDI driver seems to be installed --- so I have a few questions and a workaround.

These are shots in the dark:

* Is your system 32-bit or 64-bit?
* What version of Windows are you using?
* Is there anything unusual about your Windows setup?
* Is your computer set up to use a language other than English?

For the workaround:  There are at least two free "loopback" utilities that let you send MIDI between apps.  One of them is called LoopMIDI, and it's worth trying because it uses the same driver as imitone.  If loopMIDI doesn't work, I'll know it's a problem in that driver and I can get in touch with the developer.  If it does, odds are I can fix this problem in imitone.

The other loopback utility is called loopbe1.  If you can't get imitone working with LoopMIDI, try installing loopbe1.  With either one you'll need to set imitone to output MIDI to your loopback and your DAW to take it as input.

Thanks for your help so far, and let me know how this goes.

#7 2016-12-11 12:59:36

funkymonkey

64-bit, Windows 8.1, nothing unusual, using English

LoopMIDI was not detected by imitone
Loopbe1 was detected, but same message popped up despite setting it as output MIDI

#8 2016-12-11 16:57:30

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Hey, FM ---

Yeah, imitone will complain if VirtualMIDI is unavailable even when you're using a separate loopback.  The reasoning is that it's an essential feature of the app and if it's missing then there's a big problem...  That said, I could see where a 7-second warning might get a bit old if you have a functional workaround.

Important question:  Can you see your loopMIDI port from any other software (IE, your DAW?)  My theory here is that there's a bug or compatibility issue between your system and the virtualMIDI driver (used in both imitone and loopMIDI).

#9 2016-12-26 15:48:46

funkymonkey

Hey Evan,

I made no additional changes from last time, just checked the program today, and the message no longer showed up.  And now it finally works with my DAW.  Not sure how it happened, but it's working now.

Also, to answer your question, LoopMIDI port wasn't showing up in my DAW, and neither was imitone.  But today, for some reason, imitone showed up.

Cheers,

FM

Board footer