imitone community

Building a universal, human-friendly music interface. ...But first we have to fix the bugs!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Having trouble with imitone? Hit send on any Error Reports it creates, or use the in-app "send feedback" button.

#1 2017-08-30 11:12:06

winslowleach2

imitone/Garageband/Yeti Bluel

Hello, All!

i am really looking forward to working with imitone (I have imitone Studio 0.9.2c), but I'm having some trouble...

I'm working on a MacBook Air (OS Sierra 10.12.6) with Garageband, and I just purchased the Blue Yeti microphone and downloaded the software that came with the mic: PreSonus Studio One Artist and iZotope Nectar Elements.

I can't figure out how to get imitone recognized anywhere. (I can hear it working with my built in mic and built in speaker, and the Yeti has an earphone jack which will play imitone when I use the mic, but I can't get much volume, and I can't use the Yeti plug in mic and the built in speaker...) It may be that the Yeti software is overriding Garageband, or more likely, my nearly complete ignorance of computers and their inner workings has me stumped, but in either case, how do I proceed? I'm happy to use either DAW (Garageband or Studio One) to access imitone, but so far, I've got nothing. I will say that for me, Studio One looks a lot more professional and therefore, more complicated.

Also, when I get one of the DAWs to work, will I be able to record my imitone compositions? Ultimately, I'd like to notate and print the songs I'm working on...I've also just invested in Finale Print Music and i wonder if imitone/Garageband/Studio One are compatible...

Anyway, I'm trying to get the music in my head out into the world, and I have a pretty limited knowledge of the technology. Any assistance would be much appreciated. Just go slowly and assume nothing! Thanks....

winslow

#2 2017-08-30 13:20:47

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Re: imitone/Garageband/Yeti Bluel

Hey, Winslow —

If you're working with GarageBand or Studio One, you'll want imitone in MIDI control mode rather than instruments mode (in setup).

To make imitone work with GarageBand, just make sure app-to-app MIDI is selected in imitone and select a software instrument in GarageBand.  You should be able to trigger instruments immediately that way.

With Studio One, you'll want to go into the settings and set up imitone as an "external device".  Make sure imitone is running before you start Studio One.  See this tutorial from PreSonus:  http://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/ar … aces-Setup

Lastly, when working with GarageBand or Studio One, the audio output setting in imitone doesn't really matter.  imitone will use whatever audio input is selected there, and the audio output is selected in the other app (usually based on the system setting).

Let me know if this helps.

#3 2017-09-01 14:39:00

winslowleach2

Re: imitone/Garageband/Yeti Bluel

Hello, Evan,

Thanks so much for your quick response! I was able to use imitone on GarageBand based on your post. I had been choosing the 'voice' selection instead of 'instrument', and couldn't get it all to work.  The tone did seem, however, to waiver quite a bit (not really staying on a single pitch) and was less responsive to the melody I created with my voice...maybe it just takes practice. I'll try Studio One this weekend. Also, still wondering if imitone can, or may in the future, be compatible with any music notation software. I've worked a bit with ScoreCloud, but it's pretty glitchy, and I ultimately need to go from vocals to notation. Just wondering...

Anyway, thanks again for your help. Best of luck...

winslow

Board footer