imitone community

Building a universal, human-friendly music interface. ...But first we have to fix the bugs!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Having trouble with imitone? Hit send on any Error Reports it creates, or use the in-app "send feedback" button.

#1 2017-09-07 23:00:01

DF

Setting scales/ keys.

Hi Evan et al.

My first post here, so I hope I'm not regurgitating an issue previously addressed.

I find scale/ key setting awkward and counter intuitive. These are things I would wish for.

1. Scale setting should be positive, not negative. That is, a scale should be set by turning on notes, not by turning them off. It is a lot easier to choose notes in a scale/ key you know than to choose the missing notes of the scale. Or is there a reset to 'all off' I've missed?

2. If scale setting was positive, I could start on a note to establish the root to differentiate between major and relative minor. When I figured out how to turn off notes not in a scale/ key to establish 'F Major,' 'D Minor' was reported. I was befuddled until I clicked on the key box and it opened with 'F Major' as an option. Perhaps you plan a master key selection in the key pop up menu?

3. The horizontal cross lines in turned off keys are not easy to see at a glance. Could you have some brighter LED like little light in yellow, green or red at the bottom of each key to indicate the ones turned on and turned off keys more greyed out?

Thanks for you consideration. I am very pleased to be delving into imitone and I appreciate you vision and effort.

#2 2017-09-07 23:25:04

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Re: Setting scales/ keys.

Hey, DF —

1.  Actually, I've been thinking about disabling the individual "key toggling" except when "custom scale" is selected.  It's my expectation that most users will simply use the key and scale pop-out menus or, in the future, the automatic scale detection function.  (The latter methods will support non-western scales, which is an important long-term goal.)

2.  In the future, imitone will actually behave differently between major and minor scales, with special rules governing the root note and characteristic intervals.  For now, though, they're only different sets of notes within the octave.  When customizing the scale, it will try to "stick with" major or minor — whichever was set last.

Major and minor are different scales, so they'll continue to live in the scale menu rather than the key menu.

3.  The horizontal stripes are a visual detail I've been thinking about revising for a long time now.  That said, I don't know if their replacement will be as conspicuous as you suggest; again, I'm planning on downplaying the note-by-note toggling in the future.

#3 2017-09-08 09:37:07

DF

Evan ...

As I'm barely 24 hours into this and despite scanning through the manual a couple times, there are probably a lot of things I'm yet to discover.

Re the notes ... maybe just a little glow at the end of the keys of the active scale in the keyboard?

I'm not sure what you mean by scale menu. I see major, minor, blues, bebop and whole tone. Are there more scales to be accessed somewhere?

#4 2017-09-08 09:54:30

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Regarding design, time will tell.  I'll bring it up with imitone's visual designer at an appropriate time.

The scale menu is pretty limited for now with only a smallish subset of the possible "piano" scales.  I plan on expanding it further later when I have a good way to manage the clutter.

#5 2017-09-08 10:11:52

DF

Evan ...

Thanks. I'll use the 'remove' notes from the keyboard in the meantime.

DF

Board footer