imitone community

Building a universal, human-friendly music interface. ...But first we have to fix the bugs!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Having trouble with imitone? Hit send on any Error Reports it creates, or use the in-app "send feedback" button.

#1 2018-01-09 14:10:45

DJWilly

Unstable Output Pitch

Hi Folks,
I think this app is really cool. However, something's a miss with me. I simply cannot hum more than 5 or 6 notes with any degree of accuracy when I play it back. I'm guessing this is simply the inaccuracy of my voice. I'm surely not a singer. I was a DJ for 33 years, so all my voice is good for was announcing the evening's drink specials and announcing the dreaded words "last call for alcohol"! Are there any tips from anyone who may have experienced this and got it figured out? I'm on the latest version (9.2c for MAC). Neither the internal or external mike makes much difference. If it matters, I'm using imitone as a midi input for Logic Pro X.

Thanks a million,
Billy

#2 2018-01-09 14:15:32

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Re: Unstable Output Pitch

Hey, Billy —

First and foremost, setting a scale other than chromatic makes a HUGE difference.  Chromatic is the default because it's the most universal setting, but it's also the most difficult because it gives imitone the least ability to pitch-correct you.  Experiment with some keys and scales — blues is a fun starting point.

If you want more tailored advice, use imitone's "feedback" button (in the "info" screen) to send me a message which will include all your settings.  An audio sample is even better and helps my research along.

Also:  Don't bother too much with "reliable" tracking.  It's an outdated feature I need to remove and seems to hurt more than it helps these days...

#3 2018-01-10 08:06:13

DJWilly

Hi Evan, first and foremost, thank you for the quick response! Also, I apologize for even posting this since all the answers are right there in the manual. As a retired IT Professional, it drove me crazy when customers and/or end-users called us in with a huge emergency for something which was explained to them and was well documented in the literature we gave them! Yes, prior to your reply I read the manual and got this working within the limits of my scratchy voice! I'm real happy with how it works now. Time to go play!!

Thanks again,
Billy

#4 2018-01-10 13:42:57

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Hey, Billy —

Manual or not, imitone is still harder to figure out than I want it to be.  There are a few settings that have overstayed their welcome and aren't useful enough to merit the clutter anymore (like tracking), and a few others I want to be automatic by default (like key and scale).  In the months to come I'll be working to make the software easier to learn and use, as well as making the technology better and smarter.

Board footer