imitone community

Building a universal, human-friendly music interface. ...But first we have to fix the bugs!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Having trouble with imitone? Hit send on any Error Reports it creates, or use the in-app "send feedback" button.

#1 2014-05-26 12:02:39

Evan
developer
Website

[see new topic] Collecting audio samples

THIS TUTORIAL IS OUT OF DATE --- please refer to the new one: Submitting Audio Samples

Collecting a library of voice and instrument samples will greatly aid my efforts in improving imitone's detection algorithms.  Having specimens of sound where these don't work well, categorized by cause and effect, will help me to solve problems one by one.

If you were directed here, most likely you've seen some undesirable behavior (called an artifact) in imitone's analysis of the sound you give it.

If you get stuck while following the guide, post a reply and I'll try to improve it.

1. Identify the artifact.
    There are various types of problems imitone can exhibit.  Recognizing the problem is the first step in reporting it.
    Common types include:

• Drop-outs: A continuous sound is reported as containing moments of silence; these might be long or very short.

• Semitone jumps: A continuous tone is reported as jumping erratically between two similar notes.

• Octave jumps: A tone is reported as an octave or more away from its actual value, or jumps erratically between distant notes.

• False negative: When a tone is not reported where there is one.

• False positive: When a tone is reported where there is none.

• Junk data: When a sound is reported as an illogical mess of unrelated false positives.  (this is imitone's normal response to speech)

• Others: Try to come up with a descriptive name if none of these describes your issue.

2. Make the recording.
    First, experiment with your sound until you can reliably re-create the artifact.  Then:

1. Hold the "C" key down while reproducing the error.  A simple red circle should appear as you do so.

2. Release the "C" key when finished.  If you recorded more than 30 seconds, only the last 30 seconds will be saved.

3. Press the "R" key and imitone will silently "re-play" your recording.  A green triangle appears while the recording is playing back.

4. If the re-play exhibits the artifact, you've captured it successfully!  Otherwise, return to step A.

Now, press control-R (or command-R on Mac) to open the folder where the recording is stored.  It is called capture.wav.

3. Submit the recording.
    Begin composing your post in Fine Tuning.
    For the sample recording, and any other files you wish to add:

• Open the attach files page on this forum.

• Click and drag the file onto the "Choose File" button.

• Click the "Upload File" button.

• Copy the bolded code it gives you, and paste it into your report.

Screen-shots may be uploaded in the same fashion, and will show up as images in your report.
    Recordings are most useful when recorded directly from imitone and submitted as uncompressed or lossless filetypes like WAV and FLAC.

4. Be sure to mention your imitone version, artifact type and the sound that induces the artifact in your post.
    It's very helpful to know about the type of sound.  "I have a gravelly voice and use my laptop's built-in microphone" is very valuable information.

Board footer