imitone community

Building a universal, human-friendly music interface. ...But first we have to fix the bugs!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Having trouble with imitone? Hit send on any Error Reports it creates, or use the in-app "send feedback" button.

#1 2014-12-12 04:02:12

donnek

Linux port

Update #20 asks people to let you know if they'd like a Linux port.  I would!  Unfortunately, although some Windows music programs will work through WINE, this one won't, and basically churns around going nowhere - this is on Ubuntu 14.04.  So a Linux port would be v nice.

#2 2014-12-25 05:50:36

troyt

Re: Linux port

+1, would be very nice to have imitone on Linux.

I have some experience in compiling VST's on Linux, which should not be too hard to achieve. VST2 Steinberg SDK headers are the only thing needed, apart from the things you use for GUI etc.
I see you use Portaudio and SDL, should be really not a big problem then. Would be happy to beta test ;-)

thank you for creating such a fine piece of software.

#3 2014-12-30 12:00:21

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

There has been a lot of interest in the Linux port, and I've bumped it up my priority list.  I'll need to get my old Linux box dusted off, and it's possible I might not be able to do the port until the end of January due to an upcoming convention...  But as you've observed it's not a hard port; I've had the engine running on Linux before and can probably make it a weekend project.  :)

#4 2015-03-30 16:30:02

glanzel

+1, would like to have imitone on Linux too.

is there already some progress in the process of porting ?

thanks g

#5 2015-04-08 12:30:14

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Hey, Glanel --

imitone is written on a portable codebase that has been compiled on PC, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android at different points in time.  The port won't be too hard -- I just need to dust off some old code and make some careful choices about runtime compatibility...

#6 2015-06-14 20:24:04

Tbot

Howdy from Montreal,

or salut, if you prefer.   

What an inspiring program!  Congratulations.

I signed on here specifically to hear about an eventual linux port.  imitone looks like it will be exactly what I have been looking for.  If it comes to linux.   I am not going back to Windows or over to Mac, nor will I stuff my computers with Wine and such nonsense.  But I would be happy to pay for imitone if it cleanly installs on linux.

I am all a-flutter, waiting with bated breath and fingers poised at the keyboard.  Go on.  Make yer linux port, I double-dog dare you.

#7 2015-06-15 13:28:32

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Haha, I'll have to make some time for that soon.  :)  Maybe for version 0.8.1, or 0.9.0 ...  I'm returning to full-time imitone development as of today, and hammering out the final development schedule.

Porting is dull work, and I certainly don't expect to make a fortune on Linux, but there's certainly something satisfying about being able to open my software on everything...  That said, I am a little confused / curious -- what sorts of options are there for good music production software on Linux?

#8 2015-06-15 19:47:11

Tbot

Yes, linux is not a cash cow.  I'm not even sure it is a mildly profitable penguin, but at the price-point you were mentioning (free or cheap and easily accessible) it is unmatched.

So, first things first.  If you were wondering what programs would dovetail nicely with imitone, I'm guessing Ardour 3 (or as you mentioned, LMMS).

As to your question as to good options for music production on Linux.

It is possible to download legally and without charge linux distros oriented specifically toward music production.  In some cases, these can be carried around on a usb stick, which you can boot from on any computer. 

You can boot from usb in Linux, and when you do this you do not change the OS or files of the host computer.  When you boot out, you carry your stick away, and the host computer has not been modified at all.  This has its limitations, but is very useful for trying out distros and programs without going for a full install.

As for programs...

Bitwig, Harrison Mixbus, Ardour 3, are all available natively on Linux.  These digital audio workstations are very, very good. 

By natively, I mean that they can be used under Linux, and do not have to be booted under Wine (a program which will allow the operation of Windows programs )

Hydrogen is a heck of a good drum machine, audacity is an effective editor (and available on PC, OSX as well).  MuseScore is an effective and rapidly improving music transcribing software (that is, for producing written scores).  Oh, Traktion 6 is also available.

It seems to me that there are ongoing challenges.  The spotty support for proprietary drivers and some proprietary format.  The complexities of rapidly evolving implementation audio drivers in Linux.  Properly navigating the complexities of ALSA, JACK and Pulse audio is still a hiccup that can put off new users, but again, the field is rapidly improving.

Again, every OS has its limitations, but in terms of flexibility and attaining a production suite which is both powerful, cheap and legal, Linux is just great.

Want more details?  I can happily summarise various programs, or for a more authoritive and informed perspective, I can scout up some decent articles reviewing the field.

Which details would convince you to put some hurry-up in your get-along?  I would gladly sniff about for whatever tidbits you would find tempting, so I can hang them like a carrot on a stick in front of you, tempting you ever onward.  Err, linuxward.

All the best, T

#9 2015-06-15 20:11:49

Tbot

p.s.

Oh, and in case you would prefer it, here is someone more informed, saying what I just said, better.

Ubuntu & Audio Production  https://alexanderstechcorner.wordpress.com

Not the ultimate word in Linux based music production, but worth a gander.

T

#10 2015-06-19 17:39:19

Tbot

Here is what appears to be an excellent round up of some software (mostly all available on Win, OSX, and LINUX!)

I say, appears to be, because I do not do loops or techno-style music, so there are a fair few I have not tried.  For some of the software mentioned, I can only say that the recommendations seem very plausible.

The suggestions are nearly all available on LINUX, so I offer up the link in the hope that it might inspire you to find some time to port over to LINUX.  At least, I can hope that you might get so tired of my trying to be useful, that you go ahead with the port, just to get rid of me.

That's worth a dull weekend, right, right, right?

Hmmmm?

Right?

Okay, I'll stop now.  Mebbe.

T

#11 2015-06-19 17:42:43

Tbot

Whoops,

I meant to credit that link.  It is to MUSIC RADAR, and the title of the article is...

12 GREAT FREE AND OPEN-SOURCE MUSIC MAKING PROGRAMS

#12 2015-06-23 12:24:21

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Haha, thanks for the information, Tbot -- I appreciate it.

My main reasons for delaying right now are:

- I haven't put an update out in ages, and a lot of people seem to have really bad first experiences with 0.7.0
- I'm on a timeline to get research and development on the algorithm finished, for dumb legal reasons
- I haven't booted my linux partition in over a year and I know that choice of runtime libraries on Linux can be tricky.

It is something I want to get on top of -- just, to be honest, it will be second or third priority for a while.  If I can put a new version out and not get too swamped with customer support in the week or two following I might be able to slip it in then.

#13 2015-06-23 22:37:12

Tbot

Salut, Evan

(I am constitutionally obliged to write the greeting in French, just now.  It is Québec's 'national' holiday, la St-Jean Baptiste.  For this same reason, I am by tradition obliged to be drunk while writing this.  Come back on July 1st, Canada Day, when tradition only obliges me to be complacent, multi-cultural, and smelling distinctly of bacon and maple syrup. )

Thanks for the word on where in the queue a LINUX port might be expected . 

I am no music production pro or software expert.  In fact, I am squarely in the middle of one of the categories you are aiming at : folks who enjoy creating music, but who lack enough technical knowledge to get the job done quickly without a helpful and inspiring robot friend.

Despite my meagre tech savvy, I can google with the best of them.  So, if you find yourself needing someone to trawl (not troll) the waters for updates on the state of various production software, just let me know.  Whatever I can do to help.

Oh, and to sweeten the deal, when you get your port done, I will take the first opportunity to take it out for a spin, and use it to finish working out a composition I have got on my to do list.

It will definitely be worth it.  The particular series of songs I am working on is bound to be a big hit, just as soon as it is 1930 again.  So, no hurry, I guess.   But...

I usually have to hum my various compositions to my musician collaborators, as they sit staring at me.  They stare at me like the dog in the old Victrola logo, willing me silently to either finish or fall off a cliff and die.  Repeatedly.

I'm joking, of course.  They don't do it silently.

Anyroad, I will be thrilled, and they will be relieved, soon as your LINUX port is available.  When it comes along, I'll make you a vid, so you can see the joy you have caused, and the violence you may well have helped avert.

Anything I can do to help.  Meantime, I will go back to my sight reading exercises.  Every Good Boy Deserves a F-REAKING PORT SO I CAN DO THIS WITH A LITTLE HELP!

sorry.  got a little excited.   take your time. 

T

#14 2015-06-23 22:53:54

Tbot

#15 2015-06-29 11:27:09

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Haha, thanks as always for the kind words Tbot -- you brought a smile to my face.  I'll see what I can do about a Linux port after version 0.8.0 is out -- but I can make no promises.

Also, I'm familiar with the Victrola dog.  My dad kept a plastic statue of him next to the record player.  :)

#16 2015-10-14 10:14:48

Tbot

Howdy from Quebec.  Err, Salut from Quebec, err, du Québec.  Screw it.  Howdy down there, from up here.

Just a reminder as you close in on your long-sought hard-won version .8...

Linux.  Linux.  Linux, a lovely operating system that makes flowers grow in the streets, and children smile!  Porting imitone to linux is not just a good and noble act, it could help avert disaster.

Consider the following chain letter.

Dear Software Developer,

Upon receipt of this letter, J. Smith did not port his innovative shoes merchandising program to linux, and the very next day a dog bit his grandmother, in the FOOT!  Coincidence?

Upon receipt of this letter, software developer S, Jmith did not port her ambitious cloud recognition software to linux, and within three years she was made very uncomfortable while forced to wait for a bus, in the rain (from a CLOUD!).

Don`t follow in the tragic and often soggy footsteps of J. Smith (and his grandmother) or S. Jmith.  Port your program to linux at the earliest possible opportunity, before your well-being is endangered in a terrible-sounding and yet remarkably mild kharmic retribution!

Singed, One Who Should Have Known Better

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I send this along merely as a public service announcement.  You have a lovely little shop here, I would hate to see it choke or trip or stub its virtual toe on an A*.  A really sharp A*.  Or a really full full stop.

Don`t take the chance.  Port your program, at the earliest possible opportunity.

yer pal, T

#17 2015-11-11 13:19:31

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Haha, much appreciated, T.

Currently I'm looking at three ports that will need doing soon for imitone and other projects.  I'm wondering if I should just have a good long stretch of time dedicated to porting and porting and porting, in which case Linux wouldn't be hard to fit in.

#18 2015-12-11 19:49:17

Handmusician
Power Tester

I just add ubuntu 14.04 LTS and wine (1.6.2). imitone 0.8.0 installed from windows 8 works for me from wine ! And i'm happy cause i see imitone running faster and using really less cpu than windows (voice and whistle both cost 100% with ubuntu 50% !). Ubuntu is clearly faster than windows if only i realized this earlier...

Last edited by Handmusician (2015-12-12 05:05:04)

#19 2015-12-13 11:05:16

Handmusician
Power Tester

And to be perfect i'd love if you can add a channel router function for transmitting the first midi channel to others without increasing cpu (i made a windows program for that but unfortunately not supported on ubuntu).

Last edited by Handmusician (2015-12-13 11:06:16)

#20 2015-12-15 12:38:05

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Hey, Handmusician --

In the future, "splitting" one voice to multiple channels will not incur additional CPU cost.  Likely I'll have at most one analyzer per audio channel, and then sequencers on different MIDI channels will be possible to set up differently.  Of course, this will all be limited to the advanced edition.

I'll also be optimizing the heck out of the algorithm at some point -- it is quite heavy right now!

#21 2015-12-16 15:51:57

Handmusician
Power Tester

Yes but you did well with the pitch range mode, it's a really useful feature !

#22 2015-12-17 07:47:41

Handmusician
Power Tester

OK i found how to split the voice to multiple channel thanks to reaper (working very well with wine).

#23 2015-12-24 16:16:58

Handmusician
Power Tester

But there is latency so for real time playing and splitting channels on ubuntu : i use fluidsynth as synthesizer. Mididings (to split channel) and midi-ox (to send PC...) to use external midi device.

Board footer