imitone community

Building a universal, human-friendly music interface. ...But first we have to fix the bugs!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Having trouble with imitone? Hit send on any Error Reports it creates, or use the in-app "send feedback" button.

#1 2015-02-16 00:43:32

Leggy

Using imitone Inside A DAW Enviroment - PC

Hi Evan,

I'm trying to set imitone up to use it in what I'd imagine would be the most useful way - inside a DAW with imitone controlling VSTs like Kontakt so that you can record and play back midi performances. The problem I seem to be having is that I need to select the same ASIO interface in the imitone setup as in the DAW and they don't want to share it. Any ideas? Would you need to somehow use two ASIO interfaces, one for the mic into imitone and the other to monitor audio from the DAW? (Not sure that is even possible!)

Many thanks,

Rob

#2 2015-02-16 16:53:22

Yragael
Power Tester
Website

Re: Using imitone Inside A DAW Enviroment - PC

SUre you only need one audio interface to share in and out.
Do you use asio4all or is it the asio driver which comes with your soundcard?
Maybe don't bother with setting asio in imitone, keep the SHARED mode and see how it goes.

I know asio4all is a pain for setting ins-outs and sharing between apps.
I've just tried with no success, well just with using the windows mme default audio drivers.
Then no asio in the game anymore and it worked with a bit of latency.

which daw and OS are you using [+ soundcard]?

best

Last edited by Yragael (2015-02-16 16:54:40)

#3 2015-02-16 23:35:54

Leggy

Thanks Yragael but I think this is is a general problem of two programs trying to share one ASIO driver. It would be much better if there was a VST plugin version of imitone which you could open as an insert on an audio channel in your DAW and route the midi out from it to another VST instrument in the DAW. My system is a PC running Win 7 64bit, my DAW is Cubase 8 Pro and the soundcard I was using was a Propellorhead Balance although I have other soundcards by RME, Roland and Steinberg if I need them which is why I asked about using multiple devices. I'm using the Balance ASIO driver which I'd rather do for low latency. I don't think the DAW or ASIO souncard are that important, it's more about sharing an ASIO driver. I noticed yesterday that there is a similar problem if you try to use imitone standalone and Kontakt standalone, both trying to use the ASIO driver.

All the best,

Rob

#4 2015-02-16 23:52:05

Leggy

Ok well until we hear back from Evan here are a couple of links that people may find useful. These are ASIO multiclient drivers or programs that allow you to route multiple audio streams to one hardware device using an ASIO driver. Two are free and one is priced very reasonably:

http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=48
http://vidance.com/asiomulti/asiomulti.html
http://odeus-audio.com.au/Odeus/AsioLink

#5 2015-02-17 11:25:25

Yragael
Power Tester
Website

I Use a focusrite saffire pro24dsp [firewire], never had a problem for sharing microphone with imitone and daw.
imitone vst is on the list.

You said you've got a RME, this one should do it for imitone.

I barely use cubase so I cannot be very helpful

I've tried lmms a free daw to answer to someone here on the forum.
this is a good and easy one to setup with imitone, really.
https://lmms.io/

thank you for the links I'll give it a go.

best regards

#6 2015-03-23 14:41:42

Evan
developer
Website

Until there is an imitone VST, the hack I recommend is using a spare audio interface (like a USB microphone, or a Blue Icicle for XLR mics) to control imitone.  Then no sharing is required...  Generally imitone doesn't need phenomenal audio quality as long as low-frequency interference and background tones (like speech and music) are kept to a minimum.

Board footer