imitone community

Building a universal, human-friendly music interface. ...But first we have to fix the bugs!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Having trouble with imitone? Hit send on any Error Reports it creates, or use the in-app "send feedback" button.

#1 2015-11-15 10:07:59

MusicMag

Guidance on using imitone

Hi,

Based on the videos and links that I came through, I bought imitone from your website and ran it. Apart from seeing the GUI, I could not do anything else, for the following reasons.

1. I am not a trained musician and hence have limitations on certain factors.
2. Have FL 11 and Reaper installed, but unable to proceed with the Midi - Probably am not doing the right steps to make it work
3. I get a freeze message when I tried opening FL or Reaper and it stops there and I tried to restart.
4. After installing the driver, none of my Audio (sound) works in my laptop - I have a Dell Inspiron running Windows 10 on it.

All I would request from any of the users or from the Admin is the following.

1. A Step by step guidance on how to use imitone (Talk about each of the buttons and when to use it etc...)
2. How to map this with the other Apps like (FL /Reaper) - A Step by Step guidance is what I would highly appreciate due to my lack of knowledge

Am a singer and have good composing knowledge and a tool like this would definitely help. Very eager to have this up and running. Appreciate if any of you can step in and help me.

Thanks,
Music Mag

#2 2015-11-15 16:28:20

Evan
developer
Website

Re: Guidance on using imitone

Hey --

I'm working on new documentation and troubleshooters for imitone which will be friendlier and more detailed than the README that comes with imitone now -- but until then, that's the authoritative resource.

To connect imitone with a music program such as FL Studio or Reaper, follow these general steps:

1. Be sure you installed the VirtualMIDI driver when installing imitone.  (It's enabled by default.)
2. Open imitone before opening the other software.  Select your preferred audio input in imitone and make sure it's tracking OK.
3. Open the receiving software.  After it boots up, make sure imitone is still tracking -- sometimes music apps will take exclusive control of the microphone.
4. Go into the receiving software's MIDI settings and select "imitone" as its primary MIDI input.
5. Find a virtual instrument, enable it, and confirm that notes are coming through.

If the VirtualMIDI driver is causing trouble with your PC's audio, that's a serious problem and I'll need to know more about it.  If this only happens when imitone and/or FL Studio are running, though, it's probably because one or the other has taken exclusive control of some sound devices -- this is usually necessary to get low audio latency on Windows.

#3 2015-11-16 10:54:29

MusicMag

Thanks for your response:

1. When you mentioned – Be sure to install VirtualMIDI Driver – Is there a specific referral link to download – I am downloading few Midi Driver but unable to proceed further.

2. I have attached the screen shot of what Inputs are shown, but its not helping me any further.

3. Have enabled imitone as MIDI Input in Reaper, I am not an expert in Reaper and hence any screenshots on how to select virtual instrument and how to confirm notes are coming through will definitely help. At this point imitone does not have even a minimal level of response with all the above steps.

Refer Attachments:

imitone_1.JPG

imitone_2.JPG

#4 2015-11-16 16:48:58

Yragael
Power Tester
Website

where is your microphone plugged in?

what is your soundcard?

#5 2015-11-17 02:39:49

Handmusician
Power Tester

imitone is frozen ! You can try another mode (kernel...). I think virtualMidi driver is imitone in midi outpout and i see you have it. When imitone crash Evan needs to see log.txt and error.txt

Last edited by Handmusician (2015-11-17 02:49:23)

#6 2015-11-17 13:43:25

Evan
developer
Website

Hey --

It looks like Reaper took exclusive control of the microphone imitone was using, causing imitone's stream to freeze up.  "Exclusive Modes" let audio software on Windows get lower latency, at the cost of being unable to share a device between multiple programs.  This is a tricky problem on Windows, and one of the major caveats with imitone as a side-by-side app.

There are a few workarounds:

- Use different audio input devices (EG. a spare USB mic) for imitone and Reaper.
- Disable audio input in Reaper while using imitone.
- Run both imitone and reaper in non-exclusive modes.  (Shared Mode / WinMM / DirectSound)

Board footer