imitone community

Building a universal, human-friendly music interface. ...But first we have to fix the bugs!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Having trouble with imitone? Hit send on any Error Reports it creates, or use the in-app "send feedback" button.

#1 2016-07-21 11:14:13

imitoneuser

Input Overload - (ver. 0.8.2, 0.8.1, 0.7.0) Mac OSX

As soon as I open up imitone, I get an "Input Overload" warning, with a blinking light. My CPU usage is very high, and the notes are not stable at all...

The USB mic I am using is separate from my DAW's "input" mic. I've also tried adjusting the buffer size and sample rate... no luck. Even without the DAW open, the input overload problem pops up, and I can see in the graphical output that the notes are quite glitchy, and not stable at all. I've tried adjusting all sorts of settings, and still no luck.

I've had this issue with 8.2, 8.1, and 7...

I do have an old copy of the  0.5.0 beta, and that seems to work much, much better. My CPU doesn't freak out, and the notes are stable. For me, 0.5.0 feels usable, whereas the newer versions are completely unusable. (not sure about version 0.6, however...)

I'm on a Macbook Pro 2011, and I use Logic as a DAW...

If anyone can help me out here, I'd much appreciate it!

Also, Evan, is there any chance you can post all the older beta versions of imitone up somewhere for download?

#2 2016-07-21 12:27:03

Evan
developer
Website

Re: Input Overload - (ver. 0.8.2, 0.8.1, 0.7.0) Mac OSX

Hello ---

You can find any beta version in the Updates subforum.

The performance issue sounds troublesome.  First, a few questions:

• Does the problem happen with your built-in microphone when no other apps are running?

• Is your laptop in power-saving mode?

• What is the range button set to, and does it affect whether the problem happens?

I wrote up a new tutorial here.  If you could grab a performance snapshot, that might help me diagnose any weirdness beyond imitone's typical CPU demands.

I can also recommend a work-around:

1. With imitone open, hit control-R or command-R.  A folder will appear.

2. Close imitone.

3. Open the config.xml file in notepad or TextEdit.

4. Find the <Range ...> tag and adjust the "min" and "max" values to suit your voice.  Less range means less CPU, especially when dropping higher pitches: refer to this chart for number codes.

5. Open imitone again, and avoid clicking the range button.  Your custom range should be remembered.

Board footer