imitone community

Building a universal, human-friendly music interface. ...But first we have to fix the bugs!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Having trouble with imitone? Hit send on any Error Reports it creates, or use the in-app "send feedback" button.

#1 2014-06-01 03:21:14

Sadfacedclown

No understanding of MIDI

I was hoping I could whistle my tune into imitone and it would produce a simple list of notes. Not necessarily in music notation; just a list of notes. This would help me to pick out the tune on a guitar or keyboard.
My tune whistling is being recorded OK as the notes appear very clearly, but playback is silent and I can't see a way of getting anything out.
I have no idea about MIDI or what it produces. I have looked at the free MIDI programmes such as 'TEMPER', but they appear too complicated and time consuming.
Can anyone tell me how to get the notes out?

#2 2014-06-03 11:46:59

Redukt

Re: No understanding of MIDI

You need a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) that can process the MIDI data - Reaper for example is a great one, it's free as long as you can live with a nag screen on startup, but even if you decide to buy it (as you should) it's only 60$. If you're on MAC, there is Garage Band, which is also free. Then you can set imitone (or rather the virtual MIDI port) as an input and control virtual instruments with it.

1. download and install imitone, go to output and set it to virtual MIDI
2. download and install Reaper, create a new project
3. create a new track in your project
4. set the input of your track to the same virtual MIDI device
5. insert a VST instrument (included in Reaper, there are also hundreds of free ones available on the net, TAL Noisemaker is a great one for example)
6. now you should be able to hear your recorded notes

I'll try and make a video recording this process but that could take a few days...

Cheers

#3 2014-06-03 12:45:39

Sadfacedclown

Many thanks. I'll give it a try and let you know how it works out.

Looking forward to the video.

All the best

#4 2014-06-05 07:14:25

Redukt

Here's the link to the video: http://youtu.be/ZivfCVEueUY

Keep in mind i recorded and edited this in about 20 minutes, so don't expect anything professional...and please, disregard the the horrible "melody" i recorded, i was just talking into the mic for reference sake.

One more thing: When setting up imitone, i use loopMIDI and not the virtual MIDI driver that comes with imitone - so your settings wouldn't be "to device" and "loopMIDI" but instead "imitone" and "imitone (virtual device)". Apart from that, the rest of the video should be correct.

Last edited by Redukt (2014-06-05 07:17:08)

#5 2014-07-08 13:34:24

robint

Hi Red

You need a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) that can process the MIDI data - Reaper for example is a great one, it's free as long as you can live with a nag screen on startup, but even if you decide to buy it (as you should) it's only 60$. If you're on MAC, there is Garage Band, which is also free. Then you can set imitone (or rather the virtual MIDI port) as an input and control virtual instruments with it.

1. download and install imitone, go to output and set it to virtual MIDI
2. download and install Reaper, create a new project
3. create a new track in your project
4. set the input of your track to the same virtual MIDI device
5. insert a VST instrument (included in Reaper, there are also hundreds of free ones available on the net, TAL Noisemaker is a great one for example)
6. now you should be able to hear your recorded notes

I'll try and make a video recording this process but that could take a few days...

Cheers

I think you have made the business of connecting up to a DAW and getting a violin sound say way too simple (unless you are a committed DAW freak).  You will have to spend some time up the learning curve of Reaper (which seems very good value btw)

I think this is where imitone is failing its (less thanDAW user) community

I think it needs to be able to produce some simple instrument sounds for the human voice on its own, out of the box say.  All Ive discovered is that my voice is a pointless source for its midi input

Perhaps Evan should partner with Reaper and come up with a ready made package

#6 2014-07-09 16:48:19

Evan
developer
Website

Chiming in to say that I'm interested both in the idea of licensing imitone to DAW developers for direct inclusion, and in including some instruments in imitone itself (though not as much more than a "try me" mode -- making a full production environment inside imitone would over-complicate it).

An imitone-enabled DAW would really be the next step towards creating a voice-accessible music-making tool.  The "controller" scheme is the next best thing -- and for many DAWs (Ableton, GarageBand) you really can set imitone up in about 30 seconds or even have the app auto-detect imitone starting up.  Certain others are a bit more unintuitive when it comes to controller selection, unfortunately.

#7 2015-01-26 07:29:08

odedlevanon

Hi,

I have tried getting sound out of reaper with no success. Evan, can you please upload some step-by-step video tutorial (like the inactive one that REDUKT has made).

Thanks,

Oded

Board footer