imitone community

Building a universal, human-friendly music interface. ...But first we have to fix the bugs!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Having trouble with imitone? Hit send on any Error Reports it creates, or use the in-app "send feedback" button.

#1 2014-07-12 16:09:31

Reedbeta
Website

imitone doesn't detect half of my notes, especially lower ones

I've just today started using imitone (0.5.3), but it seems to be having a lot of trouble detecting low notes - like anything below middle C, it just doesn't pick up at all.  Unfortunately, that's the natural range of my voice. :)  Whistling, and singing higher notes seem to work pretty well, but the lower stuff is just not coming through.

I've tried pulling down the Minimum Loudness slider all the way to the bottom, but it doesn't improve things.

I recorded a capture file: capture.wav. imitone didn't pick up even one single note when I sang this.  But when I listen to the file it sounds perfectly audible - the mic is working fine.

I notice there is some low-frequency noise, maybe that's confusing imitone?  Also, I am not a trained singer at all (as you can no doubt hear in my capture file :)), so maybe I'm not able to maintain a consistent enough pitch for imitone to detect a note?

I'm working on Windows, using a Logitech ClearChat headset mic.

Thanks.

Last edited by Reedbeta (2014-07-12 16:13:21)

#2 2014-07-12 19:01:35

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Re: imitone doesn't detect half of my notes, especially lower ones

Thanks for the sample -- this will be a very useful specimen as I move forward.  (I'm going to need to think about how to encourage people to submit more)

Listening to this, and knowing the current limitations of imitone, here are my recommendations to work around the problem for now:
- Try holding the mic closer to your mouth.  imitone is currently less accurate when there's a distance because of changes in the makeup of the sound.
- Try humming, or attempt to reduce the nasal or raspy qualities of your voice.  imitone currently struggles with "bright" sounds and your voice is brighter than most.

As near as I can tell, the second factor -- brightness -- is the main source of the problem.  imitone struggles with complex waveforms, and I expect my next round of improvements to help with that.  Generally "aah" is the brightest sound you can make and "mmm" the darkest, so keep that in mind.

I expect to start refining the algorithm again next week, after I've finished the "getting started" guide.  Keep an eye out for future updates that improve compatibility with voices like yours.

#3 2015-01-31 12:16:49

d-addiction

hi there
+1 on reedbeta issue , have also a very low end edgy voice with a big end that resembles to reed beta one and obviously I'm having the same issue .
super hard for me to sing high it sounds so bad and out of tune so I'm really bummed out cause i can't really achieve the smoothness we see in your videos ...
i get lots of short notes , as well as notes playing after i stopped singing in  higher octaves of the last note played up to 3 octaves sometimes .
i really support and believe in this i think it can be amazing once its done.
only worried about how long till i can really sing and get it accurate seems like its just not yet there seeing there is a lot of stuff the software still don't transmit or does it partially .. was a bit disappointed to be honest after seeing the videos i was sure its more stable and accurate by now and took the chance in buying it...
i myself produce edm in bp of up to 140 so my melodies are very dynamic and full and for some reason its impossible for me to sing out melodies that fast with short notes/voice as the programme is not responding to my voice/singing correctly
hope there is some serious updates soon that will improve that cause for now this def can't replace or contribute to my writing or replace my midi keyboard unfortunately

#4 2015-01-31 13:50:42

Yragael
Power Tester
Website

I speak here like the beta user I am, nothing more.

For fast bpm, reduce it for recording matter, learn to sing it slow and speed bpm up when it is recorded.
imitone has its learning curve, for myself the first trials were strange, then I tried to put the mic onto my throat and move the input level almost to the max for recording my whistle or my singing like this.
The throat try was success and I do it 85% of the time for recording thanks to imitone.

see the video Evan has put on twitter some days ago and be confident, the man is working hard to make it efficient.

https://vine.co/v/OTtLMIKh6Q5

V 0.7 is coming very soon, it seems like note detection has got some major improvements, fast and low notes are better recognized and recorded via midi.

#5 2015-01-31 21:27:58

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Hey all!

Update to the latest version!  I just put one out today.

imitone 0.7.0 responds a lot better generally and improves on the low notes by a lot.  It's not perfect yet -- especially for tracking on deep bass -- but it's a lot better.  For best results try a "boh" or "doh" noise -- great for jamming out basslines.

For best bass tracking, use a dynamic cardioid microphone and keep your mouth within an inch of it.  Konami's USB mic is a decent budget option, and an SM58 works phenomenally.  Throat mics work too, but I don't really endorse them any more as there aren't any cheap, durable ones on the market...

#6 2015-02-01 08:42:48

d-addiction

hi evan thnx for the update and advice there are some improvements indeed seems like its getting more accurate ... but still i i find myself wasting lots of time to get what i had in mind and the time it would take me to sort all those notes shorten them sync them erase all small notes etc i think I'm loosing my patience and creativity ... correct me if I'm wrong but this tool was made to make it easy and fun to make music on the fly especially for those who are not with musical knowledge or experience and currently at least for me and my genre i still can't use it  like i want can only right pad like notes every other fast or changing melody i try and sing just is not close to what comes from my mouth.
don't get me wrong totally believe in you and i do see some improvement but for now i think ill wait several updates for it to really evolve cause I'm getting so fustrated not having the results i was wishing for when i first saw this product
lots of good luck ill be waiting anxiously for the next updates with hope i will eventually use it as a tool in my studio
cheers

#7 2015-02-01 13:17:53

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Hey, D --

As a general rule, imitone's expressive ability is limited to your own control over your voice.  I have functions in the program to make it easier -- and will be adding more -- but practice is an important factor.  Fortunately imitone lends itself well to learning better pitch control.

Are you snapping imitone to a musical scale?  I had meant to include automatic scale detection in 0.7.0 but I didn't quite finish it...  For now, try right-clicking on one of the piano keys, singing a bit to get an idea what the harmonies sound like, and then just improvising.  Keep an eye on the tuner needle and sing more slowly when you find yourself stumbling.  For lower notes (like basslines) stick to that "boh" sound.

Practicing for a while with headphones half-on so that you can hear both the controlled instrument and your voice seems to be an effective method for pitch training.  There's an unconscious effect where if the latency is low you'll tune your voice to the instrument you're hearing and gradually learn to hit the notes more accurately...  Doing that long enough seems to make you more proficient.

Lastly, if you're comfortable in your falsetto, cheat and sing in a higher pitch.  imitone will be a little more responsive and you can use the (-) (+) buttons to transpose back to the pitch you want.

Let me know if any of this helps.

Board footer