imitone community

Building a universal, human-friendly music interface. ...But first we have to fix the bugs!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Having trouble with imitone? Hit send on any Error Reports it creates, or use the in-app "send feedback" button.

#1 2017-01-12 12:42:45

NoTalentJustHappyMishaps

A tuner for those with bad tone?

Hello. Let me say that I love this program and I'm doing all I can to give it more attention. You have made something great. My suggestion is a "tuneing" wheel of sorts. I got the idea from the fine tune thread talking about pitch problems. That was an older version and we have the pitch guide now but I think it could still be useful and very helpful to those who can't sing. The pitch guide tries it's best and it does very well. But the black arrow is our voice. Why not add a extra nob/option so that we can tune that arrow to be where we want it. Even if we aren't singing that well it will go where we want it and help get our points across lol. Tuneing our own voices so to say.  It would also help mitigate note problems. I can never hit the center and that causes my notes to change or not change depending on the situation. So I thought this would be a good idea. Might be redundant or make no sense but I just wanted to try and help c: love this thing

Last edited by NoTalentJustHappyMishaps (2017-01-12 12:44:55)

#2 2017-01-12 14:50:43

Evan
developer
Website

Re: A tuner for those with bad tone?

Hello —

That's an interesting idea, though I fear that people's pitch would wander up and down faster than they'd be able to hand-adjust for it.  The current Pitch Guide is a first take and I plan on making it smarter.

...This reminds me about a thing I discovered that I've been keeping a little quiet about, though.

If you set imitone up so that it's locked to a scale, and connected to an instrument, then make sure both your voice and the speakers are BOTH clearly audible to you (EG. with headphones half-on) you can hear the dissonance between your voice and the instrument whenever you're out of key.  Jamming out on top of a song (with the right scale & key set in imitone) basically lets you do this live while doing musical stuff, and appears to work as a rapid voice pitch training method.  I noticed this happening with my volunteers when I would do public demos — on the first day, everyone would be a little out of tune and correcting themselves; by the third, everyone was hitting notes dead-on as they played.

Try an A Blues scale with this track and a sax sample or something:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H2oY_85q8U  Just mess around for a while.

#3 2017-01-12 17:12:50

NoTalentJustHappyMishaps

Thanks! I will definitely take a crack at it.

Actually i noticed that yesterday. When messing around with the scales i decided to see how steady a note could be so i put the scale in C major and played a C note with my piano and imitone heard it as a B. But i figured that was just my mic or something adding to that why it was off.

Also im playing with the new update now and the notes are responding even better. I am not sure what voodoo you do to accomplish this but i love it ^_^

#4 2017-01-13 12:30:19

Evan
developer
Website

Heya —

Were you using imitone 0.9.0c?  That version had an embarrassing bug where it would display the wrong note name when a scale was set...  Fixed in 0.9.0d.

Board footer