imitone community

Building a universal, human-friendly music interface. ...But first we have to fix the bugs!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Having trouble with imitone? Hit send on any Error Reports it creates, or use the in-app "send feedback" button.

#1 2014-06-21 06:58:59

faglork

Feature request: make it skinnable

Hi!

Since obviously the graphics(!) give a lot of trouble, wouldn't it be easier to offer a basic, more functional skin and the grahics heavy "design skin" as option?

Another thing to consider: imitone gives just another non-standard interface. It is nice to look at, no doubt, but when you use a number of programs which all don't use standard elements, it gets very confusing. In a multi-instrument environment, you have to constantly adapt to different designed interfaces - as soon as you swith program, everything is different. E.g. using Jamstix, Cosmos f and imitone via Bitwig/AAS String Studio in one session. FIVE different interfaces!!!  This is just crazy in a live situation ...

So I suggest to make the program skinnable, so those of us who need a more formalized interface can switch to a "simple skin" where a button looks like a button and a dropdown looks like a dropdown etc.

Check if the feature has already been announced.
- it has not

Consider whether the feature is commonly available in MIDI-receiving software.
- many programs are skinnable, and it has nothing to do with core functions

Consider which of imitone's editions the feature would fit into.
imitone is designed to be as simple and accessible as possible while serving its core purpose of bringing ideas into reality for a majority of people.
- fits like a glove to all editions

Cheers,
Alex

Last edited by faglork (2014-06-21 07:31:11)

#2 2014-06-21 22:24:31

Evan
developer
Website

Re: Feature request: make it skinnable

I've definitely been giving this some thought.  I'm tentatively planning on a different look'n'feel for imitone prime, so the possibility for skinning is likely to exist in the program anyway -- though it might be undocumented.  The VST version in particular might do well to have a "simplified" version that utilizes the host app's native widgets.

At this point it would be possible to change the color scheme of the program and a decent subset of its graphics by carefully editing the included SVG files, but there are limits to what could be achieved.  A skinning system which would allow custom positioning of UI elements would be fairly difficult.

I will consider the idea of implementing a more "traditional" skin.  Making the UI as simple as possible is the major design goal for imitone, but I've been liberal in diverging from traditional design so far.  I'll be working with imitone's designer again soon so you can expect a lot of improvements to the primary interface design.

#3 2014-06-22 03:48:16

faglork

Evan wrote:

The VST version in particular might do well to have a "simplified" version that utilizes the host app's native widgets.

Well, THIS would be perfect. At least for me, since I would not use the standalone version.

Cheers,
Alex

#4 2014-06-22 03:53:36

faglork

Evan wrote:

At this point it would be possible to change the color scheme of the program and a decent subset of its graphics by carefully editing the included SVG files, but there are limits to what could be achieved.  A skinning system which would allow custom positioning of UI elements would be fairly difficult.

I think that in the standalone version this "problem" is only a minor niggle. In a DAW environment with multiple interfaces, it is more prominent. So your idea with using host widgets for the VST version would cover this IMO.

Cheers,
Alex

P.S: Thank you for that wonderful program. Programs like this bring the joy back into music, we definitely need more like this ...

Last edited by faglork (2014-06-22 03:55:07)

#5 2014-06-23 18:16:25

Lee46
Power Tester

May I be so bold as to suggest the idea of targeting two markets with the look and feel of imitone? A simple interface,e along the lines of the existing Beta release, with a basic set of UI tools in that 'standard' version (stand-alone), but have a more extensible and 'traditional' (typical DAW and VST) interface in a 'pro' version (VST plug-in and stand-alone) for use by more advanced users.

I have mixed feelings about the current UI, but I can see the idea behind the approach and the benefits of it for general use on a wide range of devices. However, forking the product into two versions might be of great benefit for advanced (pro) users by providing a suitable platform for additional functions. That, of course, would be easier to implement if the UI is extracted to another layer away from the core audio/MIDI functions.  Skins would also be great, but I understand that you might not want to do that right now. Perhaps something to consider for a future release.

Roger

#6 2014-06-24 11:04:13

Evan
developer
Website

Lee --

As I hinted ("I'm tentatively planning on a different look'n'feel for imitone prime") I'm already planning on that.  Prime will have a more traditional and technical music-software look than imitone, though I plan on retaining the basic visual styling.  For instance, prime will most likely use more traditional shapes for the keyboard and darker colors generally.

#7 2014-06-30 00:35:12

daviddelmonte

+1 for skinning. I have poor eyesight, and some standard, as much as I don't like standards, would be welcome. Imagine people who have never been able to play an instrument, being able to create their own music!

Board footer