imitone community

Building a universal, human-friendly music interface. ...But first we have to fix the bugs!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Having trouble with imitone? Hit send on any Error Reports it creates, or use the in-app "send feedback" button.

#1 2021-12-19 20:03:59

nofish
Power Tester

'Equalize' standalone and VST(3) versions

The VST(3) versions in current package (0.11.0a) still seem to be from 2018 and not updated to the same code the standalone version contains (minus the GUI), is that correct?
If so, could the standalone and VST(3) versions be 'equalized' with releases, containing the same core code please?
(as I'm more interested testing/using the VST versions than standalone).

edit:
Btw. when is a GUI for the VST(3) versions planned?

Last edited by nofish (2021-12-19 20:17:17)

#2 2021-12-20 15:39:17

Evan
developer
Website

Re: 'Equalize' standalone and VST(3) versions

Hello —

Much of our work this year had to do with preparing the codebase for a more unified approach to the stand-alone app and VST plugins (among other things).  Our next course of action is more-or-less what you describe here:  we'll refresh the plugins so they can maintain parity with the app and present the same GUI.

Most DAWs are not particularly hospitable environments for audio-to-MIDI.  For this reason we are considering some unusual approaches to achieve a simple, widely-compatible plugin.

Some questions for our reference:  (I invite others to answer these as well)

* Do you use the "app-to-app MIDI" variant or the "direct" variant of the plugins?  In what DAWs?
* How you set them up and run them?
* Do you use automation for the plugins' settings?

#3 2021-12-20 19:34:02

nofish
Power Tester

Hi Evan,

thanks for the reply and nice to hear (hope it'll happen in the forseeable future :)).

As to your questions:

Do you use the "app-to-app MIDI" variant or the "direct" variant of the plugins?

Preferably the "direct" variant as the "app-to-app MIDI" variant is an itermediate layer which, generally speaking, takes longer to set up and has no obvious benefit imo.
Though as I'm also a bit involved in plugin development I know about the issue of VST3 plugins and MIDI output which is sad imo, but that's the way it is. For CC output they've introduced LegacyMIDICCOutEvent but I think MIDI notes output is still not possible, is it?
So taking this into account (and Steinberg trying hard to kill VST2) I'd say whatever works is good and may that be "app-to-app MIDI" variant.

In what DAWs?

REAPER is my main DAW.

How you set them up and run them?

Setting up an audio-to-MIDI plugin is very straight forward there.
Just drop in on a track, enable audio input and it spits out MIDI which could be sent to another track and recorded there if desired.

Do you use automation for the plugins' settings?

I do use automation for plugins a lot in general, but for imitone specifically I wouldn't see an immediate use case (maybe for changing imitone's key/scale via automation if key of a project/backing-track changes mid-song.)

Hope this helps. :)

#4 2022-01-09 19:09:53

Evan
developer
Website

Thanks for the informative answers.

REAPER's my preferred testing environment for our plugin prototype, as it happens.  It's a very "transparent" DAW that can work with either form of the plugin...  However, VST3 and certain other DAWs were unable to handle MIDI output, so we provide the "app-to-app MIDI" variant as an escape from the plugin environment.  Even where the direct variant is supported, most DAWs are designed so that it's easier to work with MIDI coming from devices rather than plugins...  But loading and rescanning for a plugin-spawned device can be awkward.

Because the main case for an imitone plugin has to do with cleanly sharing audio devices between it and a DAW (rather than re-processing the same audio) we have been considering some unusual approaches to the plugin's design — that is, preserving some elements of stand-alone operation, as opposed to VST's sandboxed model.  Figuring out a good workflow design will involve some trial and error.

Board footer