imitone community

Building a universal, human-friendly music interface. ...But first we have to fix the bugs!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Having trouble with imitone? Hit send on any Error Reports it creates, or use the in-app "send feedback" button.

#1 2014-10-04 17:28:37

Paul

Newbie Questions - How do I use imitone

Hi,

First off - I'm a musician with an ok understanding of tech but not much about midi. I've a few questions that hopefully someone can answer to help me get started as I'm currently stuck!

1) I've downloaded imitone for PC and downloaded a file that shows as imitone-0.5.3[1]
it says the file type is 3[1]
That file type is unrecognised and as a result doesn't open. Do I open it within something else? A sampler/daw?

2) I'm looking to experiment with imitone as a live instrument and don't own a digital music program like Kontakt. Is there a free/cheap  system that would work well while I'm experimenting. My primary interest is high quality sounds with a view to live performance if that makes a difference. Not really interested in programming etc yet.

Many thanks in advance and good luck with the project.

Paul.

#2 2014-10-05 05:09:30

Paul

Re: Newbie Questions - How do I use imitone

Hi,

I solved these last night but will leave this up and an answer in case it helps others.

1) When you receive the "Your copy of imitone" email there is a link that takes you to a page called "file download". The link on that page that says "Download for Windows" downloaded a file that did not work for me. Instead click on the "Activate imitone" link. The link within that page did work for me.

2) I since found FL Studio recommended. However, by that time I'd tried the free Kontakt player download and it worked pretty well for a while (it then stopped but I think that's my settings and I require a bit more reading). Kontact player looks pretty good for my purposes. 

hope this is helpful to others who find the forum with same issues.

Paul.

#3 2014-10-05 16:10:49

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Hey, Paul --

I tested (1) and didn't have any problems with the latest version (downloading via SendOwl).  I wonder if it was an incomplete download, or if you downloaded the link instead of the file somehow..?  In any case I'll keep an eye out for similar issues.

As to (2), it's a challenge for me.  On Windows there are good programs, and cheap/free programs, and I'm not sure which to recommend, so I've been keeping quiet.  FL Studio's free trial is great, though, from what I hear.  I mostly use Ableton myself.

#4 2014-11-02 12:04:53

Luke

Hi Evan,

Please could you give me a step by step of how to use this programme with Garage band. I am working on a I mac OS X yosemite.

All I want to do is sing the notes and then hear the instrument copy it and record. What settings I need tochange to get this to work.

Please help. Luke

#5 2014-11-03 05:36:12

Mdy

Hi Luke,

Excuse me for answering instead of Evan but I was online and saw your question, but I think you heave to read the manual of GarageBand how to setup a miditrack and to recieve midi in preferences... I use Ableton so I cant give you a step by step guide for GarageBand...

But in common:

You have to setup imitone as a midicontroller in preferences.
Then add a miditrack and set the midi in of that track on imitone (of of its with channels than the Channel that correspondents with imitones midi out)
Put an midi instrument (vst of one of GarageBand) on that miditrack.
Arm the track and your ready to roll

Last edited by Mdy (2014-11-03 05:59:17)

#6 2014-11-03 16:44:27

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Mdy's instructons sound about right.  Be sure to have imitone open beforehand -- it's no better than an unplugged keyboard when it isn't open.

#7 2014-11-11 04:42:58

Luke

Hi Mdy, Thanks, for your reply, but as I suspected this is not easy unless you know Garage band inside and out.

I have to say Evan, that the video is very misleading as it gives the impression that this is as easy to use as as ABC. I am novice and it would be a good idea to have proper instructions on how to use this in very plain english step by step and for standard products like Garage band that you are using with it. I would really like a full refund.

Kind Regards,

Luke.

Last edited by Luke (2014-11-11 04:43:30)

#8 2014-11-11 17:43:18

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Hi Luke,

It's been my experience that I can open imitone, open GarageBand, select a virtual instrument (try the organ) and start playing it immediately.  I'm puzzled that it's not working out that way for you, and suspect it might be a bug in the program.  (Check out today's new version, and see if it helps?)  Are you using Yosemite?

The README.txt file documents how to set-up and use imitone with other apps.  Text files are an eyesore, I know; I plan on creating more a cleaner, more professional help file in the coming months.

If you'd like to go ahead with a refund, E-mail me at evan@imitone.com and I'll get it started.

Board footer