imitone community

Building a universal, human-friendly music interface. ...But first we have to fix the bugs!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Having trouble with imitone? Hit send on any Error Reports it creates, or use the in-app "send feedback" button.

#1 2015-07-13 16:32:51

Cfabuloso

imitone with Sonar X2

Hey all.

I'm trying to get MIDI sent from imitone to Sonar X2.  Any help is very much appreciated!

imitone's functioning properly with my mic.  The program is working.

Within Sonar, what I'm currently doing is, inserting a VST track, arming it to record, then hitting record and singing some stuff into the mic.  No results. 

On imitone, I have Audio Input set to ASIO/ASIO PreSonus FireStudio.  I have MIDI output set to "to device..."/Mobile MIDI, channel 1.  It doesn't allow me to get any more specific than "to device..." for example, Sonar X2.

Within Sonar, on the VST track I've tried all permutations of setting the input field to Omni, channel 1, or none, and then the MIDI channel field to none or channel 1.  No combinations have worked. 

Under MIDI preferences there are Transmit MMC options, and MIDI Sync options, and I don't know what these do!

Again, thanks for any help, I really appreciate it!

-James

#2 2015-07-21 11:21:33

Evan
developer
Website

Re: imitone with Sonar X2

Hello, James --

Actually, you'll want imitone's output routed to "imitone" / "imitone Virtual MIDI".  Then, in Sonar's MIDI settings, select "imitone" as a controller.  You may need to start imitone before Sonar for this to work, as some DAWs don't recognize MIDI controllers that have been plugged in while they are running.

(I've realized a sort of dumb design flaw there, actually -- imitone should always transmit on its virtual MIDI port.  I've just added a note that I should fix this in my next version.)

If you use "to device..." MIDI output, what you are doing is sending the MIDI to some hardware interface.  This is mostly only useful if you want to use hardware synthesizers or a third-party MIDI loopback.

#3 2015-07-22 15:59:40

Cfabuloso

Evan,

Good stuff, I got it working!  Problem solved, thanks a lot. 

However, there must always be a however: I'm using ASIO and my vocal intonation is good, but it seems the program can't keep up with wild runs.  I understand it all depends on what patch you're using and how its keys are configured (as well as a plethora of other variables, including sequencer type, mic type, and CPU speed), but I tried some basic sounds, like piano, and got it to work great when singing slowly, but it was all over the map when I started singing quickly.  I understand this is a continued (and great) work in progress, but I'm just relating my initial experience, not having experimented tons.  I remember watching a demo where a guy on stage had no problem having his singing quickly converted, so there may be some obvious things I'm missing.  Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks,

-James

#4 2015-08-05 12:43:42

Evan
developer
Website

Hey, James --

Getting imitone to track rapid singing well is one of the major points of focus for my research.  (It's hard!)  I'm making some great progress with my research, and expect to have it working well by the software's completion.  We'll see what kind of changes the next version brings, when it's ready.

Getting a mic with a windscreen and bass-boosting "proximity effect" (a cardioid) can help a ton.  Using instruments that don't "pluck" or "strike" makes it harder to notice the little drop-outs (which is a workaround for the limitations of the current beta).  It's all documented in the tips:  http://imitone.com/tips

Board footer