imitone community

Building a universal, human-friendly music interface. ...But first we have to fix the bugs!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Having trouble with imitone? Hit send on any Error Reports it creates, or use the in-app "send feedback" button.

#1 2017-09-08 09:47:09

DF

MIDI Data

Evan ...

Taking a quick look at CCs recorded from imitone output I see velocity, pitch bend, modulation, expression and sustain.

Am I missing any?

I am wondering about the relationship between velocity and expression; and, about the function of modulation in the output.

Could you comment briefly, please?

DF

#2 2017-09-08 10:02:06

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Re: MIDI Data

Hello, DF —

Velocity isn't a CC per se, and there's no way not to send it at the beginning of each note.  It defaults to 100 when velocity control isn't on.  When velocity control is on (only available with attack triggering) it scales with voice power as measured at the beginning of the note.  It's most sensible with attacking instruments like pianos, guitars, percussion, etc.

Expression is sent when expression control is on (and reset otherwise).  It scales with voice power but does so continuously, so that a note can become louder, quieter and louder again over its lifespan.  It's good for sustaining instruments like wind, brass, strings, etc.

Pitch Bend I imagine you're familiar with.  It lets imitone offset the pitch by fractions of a semitone and is only used in the "bend" slide mode.

Modulation is used to signal vibrato depth.  While this works with a lot of instruments, it's really quite a bad way of doing that and I've been meaning to change it or add a small option button similar to pitch bend range.  Modulation means very different things from instrument to instrument.

imitone also uses the legato pedal CC when the "legato" slide mode is enabled.  This signals that the instrument being controlled should try to connect notes together with a legato effect.

I don't believe we're using sustain for anything.

#3 2017-09-08 10:21:19

DF

Evan ...

Thanks for the run down. Cubase has a drop down box for the CC lane with a default selection of the ususal CC suspects. If that suspect is also bringing active data, Cubase places an asterisk beside the name. That's where I saw sustain, but I didn't actually look at the lane.

Actually, knowing that modulation is controlled by vibrato is helpful. So does faster vibrato increase the modulation value?

For expressively controlling a synth with a responsive modulation input by voice this could be a lot of fun.

DF

#4 2017-09-09 10:06:32

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Modulation is based on vibrato depth.  Vibrato speed (rate) isn't wired to anything presently.  Vibrato seems to be the most common use for the mod wheel, and the mod wheel is the most common way to implement vibrato from what I can tell.  It feels pretty good when it works; try singing with expression and vibrato control on a cello or oboe or something like that!

#5 2017-09-09 10:44:14

DF

Thanks. So by depth you mean the more fluctuation of the pitch (with the key/ scale selected) the greater the generated modulation. Correct?

#6 2017-09-12 13:57:56

Evan
creator of imitone
Website

Pardon the slow reply.

The further the pitch fluctuates from "center", the greater the value transmitted for mod wheel, up to a maximum around one or two semitones.  This corresponds to its behavior in many (but not all) synths and samplers.

Board footer